Sport Central Privacy and Data Protection Notice
Read more about how we store and protect the personal information you give to us.
Sport Central is a charity registered in Alberta as “Sport Central Association” under charity number 13612-1878-RR0001 (and Corporate Access Number 515127140). The charity is based at 11847 Wayne Gretzky Drive North, Edmonton, AB, T5B 1Y2.
For the purposes data protection legislation, Sport Central is what is known as the data controller, an organisation that may collect and is responsible for the storage and processing of data provided to it. Sport Central therefore has control over and responsibility for the information you provide to it.
The purpose of this notice is to explain how Sport Central controls, processes, handles and protects personal information.
If you have any questions relating to the information about you that Sport Central may hold, you can contact Sport Central at email@example.com and title your email “DATA PROTECTION”.
How does Sport Central collect data?
Sport Central may collect your personal data via any reasons including, but not limited to, the following:
- Through the Sport Central online form submission field on our website
b) Through the Equipment Donation application process
c) Via our occasional surveys
d) Acceptance for inclusion on the Sport Central mailing list or database
e) By you entering into direct correspondence (letter / email / telephone) with a Sport Central volunteer or employee
f) By you signing up to receive information from Sport Central
- g) By agreeing to take part in the Text-2-Give donation process.
- h) By making a donation by mail, cheque, online or otherwise.
- i) By supporting Sport Central through fundraisers such as raffles, contents and fundraising events
Such information will only be collected in keeping with the following conditions:
- With your consent or as it is provided to Sport Central by you;
- As it is necessary for making/keeping in contact;
- If it is a legal obligation;
- It is related to vital and relevant interests;
- It is lawful to do so and potentially in the public interest; or
- With legitimate interest (from Sport Central) to do so.
What personal data does Sport Central collect?
The types of personal data Sport Central collects may include:
- a) your name;
b) your contact details, including postal address, telephone number, mobile or cellular number and e-mail address;
c) your date of birth;
d) your gender;
e) your country of residence;
f) your MAC and/or IP address; and
g) any other information necessary in compliance with law.
In addition, Sport Central may also collect:
- a) details of your sport and your sporting achievements;
b) details of your sport club and / or coach;
c) details of your school or university (and details of your course);
d) your social media details e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram;
e) details of your family circumstances, e.g. number of people in your household;
f) information on your parent / guardian / career’s occupation/(s);
g) information on you gross annual household income; and
h) other financial information you may provide that we feel is relevant for any applicable nominations
In applying to Sport Central you parent or legal guardian may also provide information to Sport Central. Information provided by a parent or legal guardian is subject to the same terms and conditions as the information provided for the athlete.
How will Sport Central use my data?
Sport Central will use the data you provide to establish and manage the charity’s relationship with you and this may include use for some or all of the following purposes:
- a) to provide you with Sport Central information and services such as supporting you in your chosen sport, involving you in athlete workshops, advising and assisting you and in the process of considering you for Sport Central supports and other benefits;
b) to send you Sport Central information considered to be of interest to you such as press releases, e-news or surveys and information regarding various Sport Central events (both fundraising and athlete focused) and information on the charity’s work in general; this information may be sent via email or post, depending on your preferences;
- c) to respond to your queries, claims or complaints;
- d) to collect additional information such as latest sporting results or seek your views on certain relevant sporting topics/themes; or
- e) to comply with Sport Central’s legal (and regulatory) obligations as required by legislation.
What are the data protection principles followed by Sport Central?
As required by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Sport Central follows the principles set out below in relation to data collection, processing and storage:
- To be transparent, open and reasonable in explaining how information will be used;
- To be specific and relevant in keeping with the purpose of the organisation and its charitable objects;
- To only collect data that is actually required;
- To ensure that data is accurate and as up to date as possible;
- To retain data for no longer than is necessary; and
- To be able to assure security of data.
Is information passed to third parties?
Sport Central will only transfer your data to third parties in restricted circumstances and where it is lawful to do so, including, but not limited to,the following:
- From time to time, Sport Central may use third party service providers. These service providers may have access to your personal data to perform services on behalf of and at the instruction of Sport Central, which may include Sport Central’s IT providers or event agencies or film/media communication or marketing partners.
- As a registered charity Sport Central may need to disclose your personal information to the Charities Commissioner which regulates charities. Wherever possible and appropriate Sport Central will anonymise that information (i.e. so that you cannot be identified) before making any such disclosure.
- Sport Central may also disclose personal information on the athletes being supported to other persons or organisations with the athlete’s (or their parent/guardian’s, as applicable) express permission.
- Sport Central may also share your personal data with certain third parties for marketing purposes, as set out in the section below titled ‘Is information used for marketing purposes?’
- Sport Central may also disclose personal information on the athletes being supported to other persons or organisations with the athlete’s (or their parent/guardian’s as applicable) express permission, such as to sports governing bodies or other funding partners. This express permission is given as part of the Sport Central funding process.
- Sport Central may need to disclose your personal information to the police, law enforcement agencies or the security services to assist with the investigation and prevention of crime and the protection of national security.
Is information used for marketing purposes?
Where Sport Central has your consent or it is otherwise lawful to do so, it may provide you with direct marketing communications about Sport Central events, products and services, surveys and other insight work, reports, press releases or e-news, or let you know about additional services which may benefit athletes or future fundraising initiatives which might be of interest to Sport Central supporters. In each case, such information may be sent to you by post or by e-mail, telephone or SMS. Such communications may also be provided by third parties acting on our behalf – these communications will be clear that they are communications from Sport Central.
Some Sport Central supports, rewards and incentives are made in conjunction with one or more of the charity’s funding partners. In this instance, you will be informed in advance of the details of the funding partner(s) in question and Sport Central will oversee the communications.
For athletes, Sport Central will provide further information about such use of your personal data and the charity will seek your consent (and your parent/guardian’s consent as appropriate) to permit such communications from the charity’s various funding partners when you complete the form related to receiving a Sport Central award or benefit. Your personal data may be disclosed to such funding partners in order for them to send you mailings with details of their own events (by email and/or post) and to find out how you are progressing in your sport and how the Sport Central’ equipment and support has helped you (as applicable).
How long will my data be kept?
Sport Central will keep your personal information for as long as is it deems necessary, and in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations, for the purpose for which it has been obtained and then for as long as there is any likelihood of further contact being made, such as any sort of potential claim (which will be dependent on the limitation period for the particular type of claim). For the various stakeholders in contact with Sport Central, the following information sets out the various retention periods that will apply:
- For clients, to retain an accurate record of any children and youth having received help from Sport Central, the basic details of your name, address, date of birth, hometown, sport equipment received, parent name, phone number and when you were supported (by Sport Central) will be retained for as long as Sport Central is continuing to fulfil its charitable objects.
- For individual contacts at partners and suppliers this will be for as long as Sport Central continues to have a relationship with that partner or supplier and then for a period of up to 7 years afterwards.
- For marketing contacts such as Schif and the City, it will typically be for a period of up to 7 years after Sport Central was last in contact with you.
- For individuals attending a Sport Central event, entered a raffle or volunteered as a casino worker it will typically be for a period of 5 years after the event.
- For individuals seeking information or in general correspondence with Sport Central it will typically be for up to 7 years.
It is important to make sure that the personal information that Sport Central holds about you is accurate and up to date. To this end you should let Sport Central know if any details have changed, such as your phone number, email address, home address or role and responsibilities regarding work, school or college/university. You can contact Sport Central as set out below.
Sport Central has several security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and/or alteration of information under the charity’s control. Sport Central cannot guarantee that these reasonable and thorough measures are or will remain entirely adequate. However, Sport Central does take data security very seriously and will use all reasonable endeavours to protect the integrity and security of the personal information it collects about you.
Whilst Sport Central will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, the charity cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and corresponding online and over the internet and will not hold Sport Central responsible for any breach of data security unless this is clearly due to the charity’s negligence or wilful default.
Changes to your preferences and permissions
If you want to prevent further mailings from Sport Central, please request this in writing either to 11847 Wayne Gretzky Drive North, Edmonton, AB, T5B 1Y2 or via email to, firstname.lastname@example.org. Sport Central will try to action this request as soon as possible but please note that it may take a reasonable amount of time (up to 28 days) for Sport Central to complete the action.
At any time you are able to request access to and rectification or erasure or data, including withdrawing your consent as follows:
- The right to be informed about how your personal information is being used;
- The right to access the personal information that Sport Central holds about you;
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information Sport Central holds about you;
- The right to request erasure of your personal information in certain limited circumstances;
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information where certain requirements are met;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal information;
- The right to request that Sport Central transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider/organisation; and
- The right to object to certain automated decision-making processes that use your personal information.
- The right to opt out of or object to certain automated messages sent by Sport Central.
Several of these rights may not necessarily apply to the personal information Sport Central holds as they may have certain conditions or exemptions, but others have no such conditions. Please note that inquiry regarding your information held by Sport Central may take a reasonable amount of time to reply to, depending on the nature of the request. Should it be necessary, Sport Central reserves the right to charge reasonable to costs for administrative fees and disbursements in responding to such a request.
To exercise any of these rights or if you have any questions, you can contact Sport Central by email at email@example.com